[Freeswitch-users] Setting jitterbuffer via jitterbuffer_msec variable in dialplan

Markus von Arx mkvonarx at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 13:00:33 MSK 2014

Hi

I have three questions about the jitterbuffer (with FreeSwithc 1.2.22).

1) I seem to fail configuring the jitterbuffer via the dialplan using the
channel variable jitterbuffer_msec as described here:
https://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Jitterbuffer

Here's the part of my dialplan:

<extension name="conference"> <condition field="destination_number"
expression="^18(.+)$"> <action application="set"
data="jitterbuffer_msec=60:200:20"/> <action application="answer"/> <action
application="conference" data="$1 at audioswitch_conference"/> </condition>
</extension>
When I open a channel using this dialplan, the jitterbuffer does not seem
to get configured. I assume this because I cannot find a log message
"Setting Jitterbuffer to..." from sofia_glue_activate_rtp() in my log file,
so I assume that the part of the code setting the jitterbuffer does not
execute.

I think this might have something to do that the variable jitterbuffer_msec
is not available yet when sofia_glue_activate_rtp() gets executed. Correct?
Maybe related to using inline="true"? But even if I use <action
inline="true" application="set" data="jitterbuffer_msec=60:200:20"/>, the
jitterbuffer does not seem to get configured.

=> question 1: how can I configure the jitterbuffer via the dialplan using
the channel variable jitterbuffer_msec?

Btw: enabling <param name="auto-jitterbuffer-msec" value="20"/> in the SIP
profile works fine and produces the expected log statement. But I'd rather
use the channel variable as it also allows configuring the max buffer
length.

2) How can I get the current status (size) of the jitterbuffer at runtime,
e.g. from a console (mod_cli) command or via mod_event_socket?

3) Do I need a jitterbuffer at all for the setup with many SIP channels
meeting in a FreeSwitch audio conference? My tests with a network with a
big jitter indicate yes, because audio quality markedly improves when
enabling the jitterbuffer.

Thanks and best regards, Markus