[Freeswitch-users] Any way to tell?

Claus Andersen clan at wheel.dk
Wed Mar 12 19:29:53 MSK 2014

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014, Blake Priddy wrote:

> Using this board what do I need to look for in specs that will give me an estimate of concurrent calls?
> Will this handle 100 phones?
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038GVR82/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For reference it would have been nice to put the specs in the mail rather
than asking people to look for it.

For reference: It is a Intel Atom D510 based board.

The answer: It depends....

Performance is based on many things. Two common parameters are: Concurrent
calls (how many is speaking now) and Calls Per Second (CPS - How many
calls is setup pr. second).

If you actaully mean 100 phones then the number of concurrent calls is
most probably much much lower.

The next important question you need to ask is whether you want to do
transcoding. Transcoding is recoding from one codec to another and is CPU
intensive. If you are mainly using this as a local PBX with a few SIP
trunks you will probably not need to do a lot of transcoding. But again:
It depends.

You can find a few real world results here:
https://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Real-world_results

Of note is an old Atom N270 which is said to handle 10 concurrent calls
with virtually no CPU usage.

And a quick Google gives:
http://txlab.wordpress.com/2013/10/12/freeswitch-performance-on-intel-atom-cpu/

Those tests are with transcoding on Atom N2600 and N570:
- around 10 concurrent calls with 20-25% CPU usage
- maxes out around 20 concurrent calls
- Guestimates that the platform should be able to handle around 40-50
concurrent calls with no transcoding.

Is the board then good enough for you? Maybe.

My guess: Most probably yes - if we are talking 100 handsets and not 100
concurrent calls. If concurrent calls you might need something beefier...

Kind Regards,
Claus Andersen