[Freeswitch-users] v8 working on 10.8/10.9 - (was Week in Review Feb 23rd-Mar 01)

Lawrence Conroy lconroy at insensate.co.uk
Wed Mar 5 19:15:30 MSK 2014

[slightly hijacking this thread]
Hi Brian, folks,
 OK -- given it works for some, I had another go at v8 on ML & Mav.
Confirmed -- they both work fine, BUT ...
It turns out that the reason I had problems beforehand was to do with GNU libtool (a prerequisite for fS). It bit me so it might bite others who follow the wiki instructions.
The built-in libtool in /usr/bin accepts the -static parameter. Gnu libtool doesn't.

If one builds GNU libtool from scratch and it's first in the $PATH, most everything will work, except for v8, as the v8 Makefile calls up LIBTOOL-STATIC (and that calls up LIBTOOL -static). If this hits the GNU libtool, it dies.
Hence we're back to the old requirement on GNU libtool of forcing it to be named glibtool, by running ./configure --program-prefix=g & make & make install.

If anyone's seeing a make/link error on v8, check that GNU libtool is built in /usr/local/lib ONLY as glibtool and glibtoolize - if libtool's in there, you will have a problem as it will eclipse the sys libtool and doesn't understand the -static that v8's Make is calling.

The wiki "Installation on OS X alternatives" page needs fixing anyway to spell out the required --program-prefix=g for libtool, and has an odd comment on not having libtool fom Lion onwards.

BTW -- if the Wiki is correct and Lion doesn't have a system libtool at all, that could be a problem -- without system libtool, build should work most of the time with GNU libtool, but v8 won't.
I don't have a Lion machine, and ML & Mav (and SL) all have /usr/bin/libtool (so that Wiki text needs some kind of update).

Q: Could someone with Lion confirm which libtool, please (whether or not /usr/bin/libtool exists)?

all the best,
  Lawrence