[Freeswitch-users] Command line parameter -waste

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 12:48:27 MSD 2014

> Could someone please explain what the effect the -waste parameter has on
> starting FreeSwitch?

This is my understanding... it may be incorrect.

The default size of the stack is 8MB per-thread. On 32bit machines this
means you could run out of virtual memory space if you're running lots of
threads (ie lots of calls). Lets say FreeSWITCH can address the maximum 4GB
32bit can address (and it probably can't, ~3GB is more likely), that's only
~500 threads. FreeSWITCH will reduce the size of the stack on startup to
SWITCH_THREAD_STACKSIZE, currently 240KB. The advantage is that you can run
many more calls, the disadvantage is that you could run out of stack space
and crash FreeSWITCH - in practice the latter happening is probably quite
unlikely though.

-waste disables that behaviour to keep the default 8MB stack, for cases
where you may find you're running out of stack space. You almost certainly
don't need it.

On 64bit the virtual memory range is so large that this is not an issue. I
don't think the -waste parameter even exists on 64bit platforms.

> Also, what are the implications of turning off the scoreboard by running
> with -nosql?  What functionality is lost?

Among other things you lose commands like 'show calls' 'show channels', and
probably interferes with a bunch of other functionality too. I'd avoid it
unless you *really* need it.

If you're trying to optimise the system try moving the core database to
either a ramdisk or ODBC before getting rid of it entirely.