[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH - MySQL

Claus Andersen clan at wheel.dk
Wed Jun 4 13:20:42 MSD 2014

On Wed, 28 May 2014, Joel White wrote:

> Just a question.  I want to attempt to use MySQL as the DB for FreeSWITCH, many of the other systems use MySQL
> and I would like to keep the data in the same place.
>
> The question is, what character set and collation should I use?
>
> The FreeSWITCH site explicitly states to NOT use utf8

That is not correct. It states you should not use utf8_bin. You should be
fine with utf8_general_ci AFAIK.

utf8_bin: compare strings by the binary value of each character in the
string

utf8_general_ci: compare strings using general language rules and using
case-insensitive comparisons

utf8_general_cs: compare strings using general language rules and using
case-sensitive comparisons

For example, the following will evaluate at true with either of the
UTF8_general collations, but not with the utf8_bin collation:

Ä = A Ö = O Ü = U

See http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/charset-binary-collations.html

utf8_bin should be slightly faster and I do not know why it should not be
used. My guess is that there might be a problem with case sensitivity and
would hence be vary of _cs.

Kind Regards,
Claus Andersen