[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch Transcoding, Bridging and PLC

clive engelberg clive18 at webmail.co.za
Wed Jan 29 10:19:06 MSK 2014

Hi Jay

I use the following dialstring to add a jitter buffer :

The wiki says the PLC is enabled by default when using a jitter buffer, but
you can try this to be extra sure:

Please let us know how you resolve this, as its a very interesting topic to
those of us who live with not ideal connectivity.

Regards
Clive

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 09:00:12 +1000 jay binks  wrote

  So I have a freeswitch usecase that Im having trouble solving and would
like the collective help of the community.
 I have a customer who has a commercial PBX on site ... ( Supports SIP )

 However their network connectivity is quite bad at times, and there are no
other options for connectivity. ( lets say they are a mine site or something
remote like that )

 SIP calls on this link sound pretty bad when they experience network issues
( mainly jitter & some loss ), BUT Skype calls sound pretty good. ( not
perfect, but a LOT better than say G711, G729 or any other open standard VOIP
Call )

 What we considered doing is deploying a freeswitch box on their site, and
one in a DC with reliable connectivity. have their PBX send G711 calls to the
onsite freeswitch, and have freeswitch transcode this call to OPUS / SILK.
send the OPUS / SILK over the bad network to the co-located freeswitch box,
who will then trancode back to G711 and set the call to the PSTN network like
normal.

 The intention here is to leverage the Packet Loss Concealment baked into
OPUS / SILK
 as I imagine that is what gives skype its ability to hide the audible
effects of loss.

 So far I have only set this up in a lab and used WANem to simulate loss,
jitter, out of order packets. but ive found OPUS / SILK to be no better than
G711 at covering loss.

 I even tried with a 2 sec jitter buffer on both FS instances ( on each end
), which made no difference.
 I was expecting the jitter buffer to add more delay to the call, but it
didnt even do this ... maybe I misconfigured something in the jitter buffers.

 anyways.. I would like some help with this, has anyone tried doing anything
similar to this and had success ?

 --
 Sincerely

Jay Binks