[Freeswitch-users] Bounty tasks around?

Seven Du dujinfang at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 05:27:56 MSK 2014

Hi Andrey,

Welcome to FreeSWITCH.

I'm Seven Du and is now currently working on the fs-video branch to add some video ability to FreeSWITCH. There's no guarantee of bounty rich in FreeSWITCH but we are aiming to find some sponsors since the video work will be A LOT.

I'd like to share what we already have for you and the community and maybe for potential sponsors.

Our goal is to make video transcoding fully supported in core so WebRTC users using chrome can call FireFox or legacy H264/H323 SIP/H323 video phones/MCUs. We will for sure can do MCU inside FreeSWITCH something like Google hangouts or others only limited by imagination. All these features will benefit from the solid core design and rich APIs.

Here's is what we have in the fs-video branch.

mod_ffmpeg: implemented H264 Codec, and all other codecs are possible later. It also has an option/macro to directly use libx264 for encoding bypass the ffmpeg wrapper and enabled by default since it's working better. There's also some old code which implemented some File interface you possible to do mp4 playback/recording, which is not complete yet.

mod_openh264: using cisco's OpenH264, it's more compatible in licence. And it support H264-SVC we could benefit from that later.

mod_vpx: VP8 implemented, VP9 is possible.

The core has ability to do transcoding with the following dialplan (and you can see I forced the video codec so to avoid bother on the negotiation code right now):

        <action application="export" data="video_transcoding=true"/>
        <action application="bridge" data="{absolute_codec_string='PCMU\,VP8'}user/$1"/>

All mods are kind of working despite some random crashes I haven't got time to figure out. Also all those libs are new to me so I need someone like you to help tweak all the params. It's not ready for public tests before the random crashing (very often) is fixed, but interested develops are welcome. My personal roadmap is to -

- add some ability in core to get the transcoding result from the mods - like the mark bit, bit rate, width/height, is there more buffered/appending data available etc.
- fix the crash
- get the video bridge working
- working on MCU

Ideas and suggestions, and for sure, bounties are welcome.

P.S. For others interested in Video recording/playback, I had implemented media-bug for Video in a branch years ago which is possible for fsv and mp4 recording. Playback haven't been implemented but with ffmpeg in the new fs-video branch we  could do that soon.  See http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Video-Recording for more information.

--
Seven Du
http://www.freeswitch.org.cn