[Freeswitch-users] Issues creating/modifying FreeSWITCH files after using MSI installation in Windows 8

jayen jayen.lists at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 4 08:36:49 MSK 2014

I don't know if many (any?) of you folks have ever tried running FreeSWITCH in Windows 8, but the MSI installed version seems to have an issue that had me scratching my head for awhile this evening.  Specifically, it seems that I can't seem to create OR modify files in the FreeSWITCH directory located (by force) in Program Files.  Before you ask, yes-I'm using the 64-bit MSI/version in a 64-bit OS.  For instance, when I right-click in any folder in the FreeSWITCH directory tree and go down to "New", this is what I see: <http://i.imgur.com/1IJfir4.png>.  When I try to edit an existing file, I'm told that it's "read only" and my changes can't be saved.  How nice.

Interestingly enough it seems that only sub-folders located in "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" exhibit this level folder/file protection, and I am a member of the local "Administrators" group.  Having a bit of experience with all version of Windows post-Vista, I suspect that some craptastic (un?)documented feature of UAC is "protecting" the contents of the FreeSWITCH directory...just like it protects the rest of the contents of Program Files as well.

Now to my point: as anyone who has ANY degree of experience with Windows in the last 10 years fully knows, there are virtually NO PROGRAMS in existence that store configuration data actually IN the Program Files directory, or a sub-directory therein....so why in tarnation does FreeSWITCH?!?

Please fix this, or if I'm missing some really obvious solution to this problem, please-enlighten me in a response.  If you're going to suggest that I simply move the folder out of the Program Files directory to somewhere else on the system that isn't "protected" by UAC, that's a GREAT idea!  I think I'll do JUST THAT.  But why should I have to in the first place???  For that matter, why doesn't the MSI installer give you the option of installing the program somewhere OTHER than Program Files???  Food for thought...

Thanks all
Jeremy