[Freeswitch-users] Codec negotiation to avoid transcoding as much as possible

Biswas, Dipak dipak.biswas at mezocliq.com
Thu Feb 20 19:24:03 MSK 2014

Hi All,

Is there a way to configure Freeswitch codec negotiation to be neither of
'generous', 'greedy' or 'scrooge', but keep the possibilities of needing
transcoding open.

This is what I'm seeing with 'generous' codec negotiation (greedy and
scrooge is no different):

inbound leg offer (opus, pcmu, g729) --> FS --> outbound leg offer (opus,
pcmu)
inbound leg answer (opus) <-- FS (transcoding engaged) <-- outbound leg
answer (pcmu)

But, I want FS to not to do transcoding here as there is a way out as both
caller and called party has pcmu in common.

If FS can follow this, there is no transcoding needed on FS's part:

inbound leg offer (opus, pcmu, g729) --> FS --> outbound leg offer (opus,
pcmu)
inbound leg answer (pcmu) <-- FS <-- outbound leg answer (pcmu)

Question is how can I configure FS to be 'accomodat'-ing (yes, i wish this
codec negotiation option is available).

Please share your insights.

--
Thanks,