[Freeswitch-users] Re - FreeSWITCH Lua CUSTOM events interrupting session:streamFile playback - is this possible?

Andrew Keil andrew.keil at visytel.com
Tue Dec 9 02:00:39 MSK 2014

To FreeSWITCH users,

After progressing with Lua inside FreeSWITCH I have a question that I cannot source an answer for within the current FreeSWITCH documentation.

I have a requirement for an external application to process an event (via the event socket layer) then return the results back to the application while an audio file is played back in a loop to the caller.

>From the current documentation this method allows for the event to be sent then the return event is "consumed" using a polling approach.  However the caller is listening to silence.

function poll()
    -- create event and listener
    local event = freeswitch.Event("CUSTOM", "ping::running?")
    local con = freeswitch.EventConsumer("CUSTOM", "ping::running!")

    -- add text ad libitum
    event:addHeader("hi", "there")
    -- fire event
    event:fire()
    -- and wait for reply but not very long
                local retevent = con:pop(1, 5000)
    if retevent then
        print("reply received")
                                freeswitch.consoleLog("DEBUG",  string.format("reply received: %s\n",retevent:getHeader("Result")))
        return true
    end
    print("no reply")
                freeswitch.consoleLog("DEBUG", "no reply\n")
    return false
end

Some questions:

1)      Is there a way to playback audio (eg. session:streamFile(...)) while this takes place, since currently session:streamFile(...) seems to be a blocking function (ie. Finishes when the audio file is played back completely)?

2)      Is there a way to use session:setInputCallback(...) to handle an external CUSTOM event being returned (since this would then be able to interrupt the session:streamFile(...) just like it does for DTMF or speech recognition)?

If you have a preferred approach to solving this then I am open to your suggestions.

I appreciate any assistance that you can give.

Kind Regards,

Andrew Keil