[Freeswitch-users] configure: error: python2.7 is unusable

Devin Fee devin.fee at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 19:39:34 MSD 2014

When configuring the FreeSWITCH package, I get the following error and then the process halts:

./configure --enable-core-pgsql-support --with-python=/usr/local/bin/python2.7
…
checking for python... /usr/bin/python
checking python version... 2.7.5+
checking for python distutils... yes
checking location of site-packages... /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
checking python libdir... /usr/lib
checking for main in -lpython2.7… no
configure: error: python2.7 is unusable

Looking at the config.log file, this seemed to be most relevant (and it was the same in every failure, regardless of platform or version).
| #define HAVE_LIBSSL 1
| #define HAVE_OPENSSL 1
| #define HAVE_TLS 1
| #define HAVE_OPENSSL_DTLS_SRTP 1
| #define HAVE_OPENSSL_DTLS 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|

| int
| main ()
| {
| return main ();
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:23841: result: no
configure:23855: error: python2.7 is unusable

I had this problem across two platforms: Ubuntu as a guest VM on my computer and a fresh CentOS EC2 instance, across two versions (git checkout of v1.2 and v1.4), and across three versions of Python. Here were my efforts:

Ubuntu 14.04
------------------
[x] FS v1.2 - Python 2.7.5 [stock]
[x] FS v1.4 - Python 2.7.5 [stock]
[x] FS v1.4 -Python 3.3.2 [installed from source]

CentOS 6.5
[x] FS v1.4 - Python 2.6.6 [stock]
[+] FS v1.4 - Python 2.7.6 [installed from source]
[x] FS v1.4 - Python 3.3.3 [installed from source]

For five out of my six configurations attempts (five permutations listed above failed [x], one succeed [√]). Why was pythonX.Y unusable? What versions of Python are supported?

I installed Python from source on CentOS, using the instructions posted by Digital Ocean, here: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-python-2-7-6-and-3-3-3-on-centos-6-4
The only change I made was to add the compilation flag “—enable-shared” during configure of the Python which led to a successful installation. That however, was almost certainly a different bug.

Thanks,
Devin