[Freeswitch-users] Detecting voicemail in a mod_httapi-based ivr script

Rafal Gwizdala rafal.gwizdala at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 13:23:05 MSD 2013

I've done some experiments on that, with partial success. Here are the
findings:

1. You can initiate voicemail detection for current channel in mod_httapi
script:

<work>
        <execute application="avmd">start</execute>

this will run the detection procedure until it's terminated later in the
work script

<execute application="avmd">stop</execute>

of course you need to enable 'avmd' application in mod_httapi config

2. According to the docs, mod_avmd is supposed to set avmd_detect channel
variable after detecting voicemail
So, I thought I can get this variable to my httapi scirpt with

<getVariable name="avmd_detect" />

(you need to enable get permission for this variable in mod_httapi config )

Unfortunately, the variable is never returned to mod_httapi (it's not
present in request headers), even after mod_avmd detects the voicemail
(there's an avmd::beep event reported for that channel)
Do you know what i'm doing wrong?
My workaround for this would be to subscribe to avmd::beep events throug
event socket and receive them there, bypassing http. But this is more
difficult and introduces additional complexity to application.

Best regards
RG