[Freeswitch-users] Commit message usefullness

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 01:13:52 MSD 2013

Maybe if you didn't phrase it like a complaint it would be more meaningful
but it reads as though you are mad that you had to do work to debug your
issue in our software for your paying customer.  I find the message
offensive and had to resist less polite responses that came to mind.

We use fisheye and jira together for tying the bugs to the commits.
I actually have some scripts for dumping the text of jira summaries and
merging them inline to the git log by expanding the jira id to the text.

'bump' is always used when the only change is to alter the version in
configure.in

doh or oops are mostly used in places where you can see the intent in the
patch such as a typo etc.  (there are only like 200 of each over 10 years)

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 6:41 AM, Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just a quick note - For a customer of us i was looking throught the
> commit messages of FreeSwitch because we suspected a bug in freeswitch.
>
> I immediatly stumbled upon commit messages like "oops", "doh" or "bump".
>
> Basically most of the commit logs were useless.
>
> One could track messages like "FS-5731 --resolve" by looking at the Jira
> but that would be very time consuming to look up every single bug.
>
> Finally i went for grepping through commits touching certain files
> and using "git blame" to find commits.
>
> This message is just for highlighting that commit messages are important
> and IMHO should contain more informations than a "Bug ID" which may be
> transitional - one day FreeSwitch might use Jira+1 and all bugs are gone
> and those references will be just as useless as a random number.
>
> Flo
> --
> Florian Lohoff                                                 f at zz.de

> http://wiki.freeswitch.org