[Freeswitch-users] Debian repository out of date

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Mon Sep 9 23:50:36 MSD 2013

On 09/09/2013 07:12 AM, Michael Jerris wrote:
> Thats correct, every time someone comes around suggesting we get package in the distro repos, I
> mention this needs to get done first and if someone wants to do the work on that then we can discuss
> what else is necessary to get packages upstream, and them everyone realizes its a lot of work and
> wanders off without offering to help, so it probably will never happen.  I'm not sure it actually
> adds any value anyways.

Actually, it adds a huge amount of value.  Just the security implications alone are a huge deal. I
think the fact that asterisk being in the distribution is a pretty big hint.

The freeswitch user base would increase greatly which translates into more eyes on the code - which
translates into more man power etc. etc.

I can give an example of this effect - kicad, a PCB layout package, entered Debian - with-in the
year they had a multiplication of programmer man power. It has been a huge success.

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://secure.transtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

When angry, count to four; when very angry, swear. -- Mark Twain