[Freeswitch-users] Running FS on a heavy loaded VMWare host

Ivan ivan at c3i.bg
Tue Sep 3 11:59:51 MSD 2013

FWIW, I thought only CPU and memory would be relevant when virtualizing
a basic FS instance (only routing calls, no fancy dialplan with DB
lookups or any other I/O stuff), but heavy I/O on the *host* without
saturating the CPU proved to significantly degrade the calls quality. It
has to be a timer issue but I have yet to find time to investigate that
so for now I'm just careful when doing maintenance on our KVM hosts.
As a side note I had a few problems running things on a 2-node KVM
cluster with raw disks over glusterfs - I/O intensive stuff in one guest
on one server would make guests on the other server almost come to a
halt. I'm now migrating to DRBD to see if things improve.