[Freeswitch-users] Phones registered to internal profile hit external profile when calling

hcoin hcoin at quietfountain.com
Wed Oct 23 19:07:49 MSD 2013

Donny, It's a balancing act, people choose commercial routers because
they want it all to 'just work' and not have to get into the guts of
it.  That's what please expect and  pay for-- 'just working', you pay
for not being forced to learn the guts and 'deal with it'.

My policy has been that if the commercial router doesn't come with a
staff member at the commercial company to make the problem go away, go
to an open source solution.  If you're going to be made to 'deal with
it', then you might as well have access to all the guts, all the tools,
the whole thing yourself.  Otherwise you wind up working for free making
someone else's commercial product better, and who knows if the next
release will break your fix or not.   No, if you are being forced to
deal with a problem in the guts of commercial software yourself, you
aren't getting any value and the answer is find out whether an open
source version is solid enough and if it is go with that.  Might was
well learn 'everything' about something you can compile yourself if it
comes down to that.  You pick up a lot of dubious skills though, for
example I can now edit freeswitch transport protocols and the sip
stack.  A thing I hope never to have to do....  Seriously whoever came
up with RTP and SIP using a bezillion ports and the whole NAT
nightmare.... arg.   Look how much of freeswitch is not dealing with
telephone and talk issues,  but routing issues.  It's half a router itself.

This business of weaving together products made by various vendors:
routers, soft phones, pstn-voip legacy boxen, freeswitch, routers,
'guis on top of X', it's every bit as tough as programming.  In
programming you control 'the world' and have a narrow focus.  This
business of integrating lots of work by lots of folks, not for the timid.