[Freeswitch-users] Problem with NAT configuration. Trying to understand autonat.

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Fri Oct 4 06:41:39 MSD 2013

On 10/03/2013 04:05 PM, Federico Castro wrote:
> Hi everybody, please someone could help me to understand what "autonat:" makes when is used to
> modify ext-rtp-ip and ext-sip-ip in profiles.
>
> I faced the problem I'm going to explain and I solved it  using "autonat" but I couldn't understand
> why it fixed my problem:

I second the question.  -- but first, I think auto-nat has a hyphen in it?

I dug into this once and still have no idea what is going on - thus I have little hope of believing
I have a secure configuration.

particularly  :

sip_profiles/internal.xml:    <param name="ext-rtp-ip" value="auto-nat"/>
sip_profiles/internal.xml:    <param name="ext-sip-ip" value="auto-nat"/>

and

sip_profiles/external.xml:    <param name="ext-rtp-ip" value="auto-nat"/>
sip_profiles/external.xml:    <param name="ext-sip-ip" value="auto-nat"/>

I guessed that auto-nat would return the correct IP address - but filling in the real IP address
values didn't work as far as I could tell???

Thus, the following comment in the default file does not appear to be correct??

<!-- external_sip_ip
          Used as the public IP address for SDP.
          Can be an one of:
          ip address            - "12.34.56.78"
          a stun server lookup  - "stun:stun.server.com"
          a DNS name            - "host:host.server.com"
          auto                  - Use guessed ip.
          auto-nat              - Use ip learned from NAT-PMP or UPNP
     -->

And

global_getvar  shows external_rtp_ip and external_sip_ip set to the correct IP, but external_sip_ip
is not ext_sip_ip

I'm not using NAT-PMP or UPNP - but it appears to work - I have no idea why.

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://secure.transtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed,
if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
-- Mark Twain