[Freeswitch-users] vars.xml

Raymond Chandler intralanman at freeswitch.org
Tue Oct 1 21:27:55 MSD 2013

The numbering_plan variable was originally set a few years back for the
concept of adding numbering plans to the default config set (i.e. for
doing local dialing rules for the US, UK, HK, etc).  The idea was that
we'd include a US.xml dialplan that you could transfer the call into so
that numbers could be formatted into e.164 according to predefined rules.

Since then, mod_translate was added, which will translate the numbers
for you in it's dialplan, using a dialplan app for the XML dialplan, or
api function call.  Using a module instead of multiple dialplans is
arguably simpler, and more efficient.  The sample config in
mod_translate's conf/ directory in the source, will show you an example
usage which happens to include the numbering_plan variable.

<include>
   <extension>
     <condition>
       <!-- translate the desintation_number and caller_id_number
            according to the default numbering plan (as seen in
brian.xml) -->
       <action application="translate" data="${destination_number}
${numbering_plan}"/>
       <action application="log" data="info Before: ${destination_number}"/>
       <action application="log" data="info After: ${translated}"/>
     </condition>
   </extension>
</include>

There's also a very minimal wiki page at
https://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Mod_translate that gives basic usage
examples.

-Ray