[Freeswitch-users] recommendations for Wifi SIP phones?

Tim St. Pierre fs-list at communicatefreely.net
Tue Nov 26 04:56:54 MSK 2013

I get reasonably good results with Android/Media5Fone and g.722, but
this is more to do with our wifi setup than anything else.

Spectralink has really nice WiFi handsets, but it's cheaper to buy an
android phone and a soft phone.  They are much more rugged however.

We have 12+ Unifi APs covering about 3 blocks.  As long as your signal
is good, you get a high enough modulation that the AP can service about
75Mb/s of bandwidth.

The controller limits each client to 4Mb/s.

The net result is that there are plenty of time slots left for voice
(although I wouldn't want to try that on a major holiday).

The radios also translate DSCP to WMM, so there is a measure of QoS.

Roaming doesn't work - you can't here for a good 20-30s when you walk
between access points.  You can fix this with high end gear, but we
didn't have the $40k to spend on it.

If you can use DECT, give it a try.  The gigasets sounded great, until
all of them broke.  Panasonic has some coming out now that sound good.
Snom's work well and can do IPv6, but they don't sound quite as nice.

-Tim