[Freeswitch-users] Raspberry Pi, mod_gsmopen GSM dongle

Johannes Stads stadsj at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 3 22:39:49 MSK 2013

Sergey I tend to agree with the statement in your first post, it's a shame that Asterisk works better
in your setup. But i think there the problem is not in Freeswitch. The problem is
in gsmopen module, in its features and support.
I made a question about gsmopen back in september, and did not receive any answer. Gsmopen is in
a beta state, we should not require any stable operation of FS with gsmopen module in a production
environment.
I have a long experience with Asterisk, and decided to give a try to Freeswitch to see its superior
performance. I started using a linux virtual machine. Then tried it also with BeagleBone Black which is
just a bit more powerful beast than PI. All compiled well, including the latest version of FS.
Building of a mod_gsmopen was a bit of a pain, but finally worked too.
What linux flavor were you using with FS on PI?
In my setup I used bare minimum config, and again can confirm that FS is a superior platform with
plenty of advanced features, though its concept is more difficult for understanding initially.
Although I was able to send SMS and make calls out of the box, gsmopen worked highly unstable and
sound quality was not good, to say the least.

To prove my concept, today i took a fresh SD card to put Debian Wheezy on it and installed Asterisk
with chan_dongle. The platform used was BBB.
What can i say, the experience was different. To compare, FS build time on BBB/Debian/SD card was
such:
./configure (about 1h)
make (about 2h)
Asterisk was up and running in about 30 min.
chan_dongle was built smoothly without a need to tweak libraries.

In my FS setup gsmopen did not show a claimed 'auto discovery' feature and some exercise  with
UDEV rules was required to make sure that modems are loaded in right order.
In chan_dongle it is nicely done out of the box.

Overall, chan_dongle is much more advanced piece of software, I want to use this opportunity to thank its
author. If your goal is calling to mobiles, you have to consider chan_dongle against gsmopen,
and not FS against *.

Cheers,
Jo