[Freeswitch-users] Better approach for multi-tenant SIP testing (part 1)

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd] cal.leeming at simplicitymedialtd.co.uk
Tue May 28 18:03:46 MSD 2013

Hello all,

After nearly a year of active development on building our own voice
platform, we've adopted some cool tricks to speed up the workflow and make
testing less tedious.

Over the next few months I'll be posting more articles on the tricks we
have used and the lessons we have learnt.

Here is part 1 - a write up about a neat hack we used to virtualize phone
testing;
http://blog.simplicitymedialtd.co.uk/533/quick-and-easy-approach-for-multi-tenant-sip-testing

For those that don't have time to read, here is a screenshot;
http://i.imgur.com/e9kUdxg.jpg

This trick, which we've used in development for approx 6 months, has saved
countless hours in development overheads, with one-click start/stop
functionality and all the necessary modules right there in one place.

Of course, this should never be used as a full replacement as nothing beats
a proper hardware test to catch those weird edge cases, but it does allow
you to do the majority of your testing (95%) from a single screen rather
than a desk full of phones. It also makes attaching wireshark a lot easier,
without having to use span ports and the alike.

Hope this helps someone else!

Cal