[Freeswitch-users] Best performing codec on mobile/slow networks

Patrick Lists freeswitch-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Fri May 24 15:59:14 MSD 2013

On 05/24/2013 11:50 AM, Daniel Ivanov wrote:
> I've officially given up on AMR, due to it's licensing issues and
> sketchy supports for my mobile clients. I am looking for new options now
> as CsipSimple has a new codec pack supporting G.726.1, opus and codec2.
> Which do you think would perform best on mobile networks? And which has
> FS support for transcoding as well?

Iirc last time I tested something on Android (don't recall the client)
while on a 3G connection I got reasonable results with g.729, gsm and
iLBC. On wifi with g.722. It depends on how good or crappy your mobile
operator's network is and how busy the cell is that the phone is talking to.

There are commercial g.729 licenses for FreeSWITCH. Info at:
http://freeswitch.org/node/235

The other codecs you mentioned are all supported. For details see:
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Specsheet

Regards,
Patrick