[Freeswitch-users] looking for a way to do appointment reminders

Brian Foster bdfoster at davri.com
Thu May 9 14:43:14 MSD 2013

*Sidebar*

Possible recordings for the next session with Callie? Like:

1. "This is an important reminder for..."
2. "This is a reminder for your appointment scheduled for..."

...or something similar. I think it would get some usage with those in the
medical field.

On May 8, 2013 11:09 PM, "Michael Collins" <msc at freeswitch.org> wrote:

> Hi Brandon,
>
> This is totally doable with FreeSWITCH. For you I recommend starting
small and working your way up. What I mean by that is that you should
probably get the basics down first, like learning how to do a simple
dialplan entry in FreeSWITCH, how to set up a SIP provider, how to set up a
TTS engine like svox/pico or a commercial one like Cepstral, how to do an
originate on the command line and then how to script that using something
simple (like fs_cli -x 'originate foo/bar') or more in depth (like ESL)...

> Then there are the other questions, like:
> How do you get the patient information out of the software? Is there an
API?
> Will you be keeping track of the results of your automated outbound
calls?
> If so, how will you get the results back into the software? Will you
auto-reschedule busy/no answer calls?
> Do you want to leave a simple message with the called party even if a
human answers?
> Or do you want to have a simple IVR that says something like: "you have
an appointment at [date/time]. press 1 to confirm. if you need to
reschedule, press 2."?
> Will you want answering machine detection? If so you'll need to contact
FreeSWITCH Solutions about purchasing a license since this is not a free
module.

> Last question: what programming skills do you have on staff there? If you
have basic shell scripting skills and/or Perl/PHP/Python/etc. skills then
you can probably build something yourself. If you don't have someone with
some programming skills then I strongly recommend that you find or hire
someone to assist. It's not impossible for a determined person to learn all
the skills required, however it will be a challenge.

> Hope this helps!
> -Michael
>
> P.S. here is a really, really simple example of how to make an outbound
call from a shell script:

> #!/bin/bash
> # simple dialout script, assumes a gateway named 'flowroute'
> #  and syntax: dialout.sh <phonenumber> <firstname> <lastname>
<appt_timestamp>
> res=`fs_cli -x
'{ignore_early_media=true,fname=$2,lname=$3,appt_timestamp=$4}sofia/gateway/flowroute/$1
reminder`

> Call that script from shell using a Unix timestamp for the appointment
date/time, like this:
> ./dialout.sh 18005551212 brandon coale 1368077828
>
> Then have a simple dialplan (assumes you've built one of the TTS engines):
>
> <extension name="dial out reminder">
>   <condition field="destination_number" expression="^reminder$">
>     <action application="answer"/>
>     <action application="sleep" data="1000"/> <!-- pause for a sec, let
media kick in -->
>     <action application="playback" data="this_is_a_message_for.wav"/>
>     <action application="speak" data="${fname} ${lname}"/>
>     <action application="playback" data="you_have_an_appointment_on.wav"/>
>     <action application="say" data="en short_date_time pronounced
${appt_timestamp}"/>
>     <action application="playback"
data="please_dont_miss_or_we_charge_obnoxious_fee.wav"/>