[Freeswitch-users] How to restrict codec negotiation to ULaw only on incoming leg

Adelia C. hexade at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 15 18:45:05 MSK 2013

What are my options when I am looking for a quick fix for the following situation:
My in/out traffic is on a few different carriers. Carrier A is sending this SDP on first INVITE, offering PCMA first and PCMU second:

v=0

o=Sonus_UAC 17329 9183 IN IP4 206.165.95.165

s=SIP Media Capabilities

c=IN IP4 206.165.95.166

t=0 0

m=audio 24330 RTP/AVP 8 0

a=rtpmap:8 PCMA/8000

a=rtpmap:0 PCMU/8000

a=sendrecv

a=maxptime:20

Freeswitch does the right thing by RFC 3264 and selects PCMA but then negotiates PCMU on the outgoing leg. Then, it drops out of the data path and I have another B2BUA in the middle, that can't translate.

Can I make FreeSwitch reply with PCMU? [ Am in North America, with pretty much all my traffic on ULaw]

I found this suggestion:

http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Codec_negotiation#Late_Negotiation_.28requires_param.29

 but I am looking for a quick and dirty fix, where I restrict all to ULaw.

Thank you.
A.C.