[Freeswitch-users] Which scripting language to use?

Avi Marcus avi at avimarcus.net
Tue Mar 12 17:57:16 MSK 2013

First take a look at:
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Rosetta_stone

There's MANY ways to tell freeswitch what to do.

Let's take a step back, OK?

The simplest is to create a dialplan. With all the condition, regex, time
based routing, etc, you can do quite a lot in just a static dialplan.
Depending on what you need to do, you may never need to go beyond this. You
can even do database calls from the static dialplan with mod_odbc_query
(from git freeswitch-contrib).

If you need a bit more flexiblity, you can call a lua script at any point.
Lua seems to be the most embeddable language with very low overhead and
high community support.

If you need more, you can use XML_curl -- that's from a web server in any
language -- that serves up XML specific for each call -- it gets all the
variables about the call at that time. (You have to ensure your web server
is working!)

Alternatively, there's ESL - freeswitch fires off events for many things
you can watch and trigger something. Or, ESL outbound.
If you know C, you can write this logic in a module that is loaded directly
with freeswitch.

You can look up all those in the wiki, but I hope this helps explain the
bigger picture.

-Avi Marcus
BestFone