[Freeswitch-users] Performance Bottlenecks Update?

Avi Marcus avi at avimarcus.net
Sat Mar 9 21:30:38 MSK 2013

http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Performance_testing_and_configurationslists
some performance bottlenecks, I'd like to check if they are still an
issue... I recall some changes in how threads are run.

1) "libsofia only handles 1 thread per profile, so if that is your bottle
neck use more profiles"
Is this still true?
I saw Anthony mention in a ML post that there is a param for a separate
thread for incoming registrations but I can't find it on the wiki or find
the email.

2) "Reports of running more than a single instance of FreeSWITCH has
helped."
If libsofia doesn't have a bottleneck (see #1), then what part of FS would?
Each call get it's own thread. Why would this help?

3) "On a normal configuration, core.db is written to disk almost every
second, generating hundreds of block-writes per second. To avoid this
problem, turn /usr/local/freeswitch/db into an in-memory filesystem."
It seems the other alternative is:
"-nosql                 -- disable internal sql scoreboard"

What does -nosql disable? e.g. for a dialer trunk you don't need presence,
track-calls.. can you still get an active call count from FS?

4) from here<http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Switch.conf.xml#initial-event-threads>
 "initial-event-threads
Number of event dispatch threads to allocate in the core. Default is 1.
If you see the WARNING "Create additional event dispatch thread" on a
heavily loaded server, you could increase the number of threads to prevent
the system from falling behind."

If I expect high cps/load, e.g. for dialer term, should I set this higher
from the start?

Anything else I should know, other than "FreeSWITCH is free, so you can use
that money you saved to get good hardware" ? I remembered that part!

-Avi Marcus
BestFone