[Freeswitch-users] Cisco 7970G MWI + External SIP Voicemail Server

Jeremy Moschner jeremy.moschner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 03:34:28 MSD 2013

Hi Everyone

I am running an embedded FreeSWITCH installation (on OpenWRT, opkg version
1.0.7-2) and have a single Cisco 7970G that registers fine and can make and
recieve calls (most of the time).

However, one of my SIP providers (Internode) also offers a voicemail system
(useful if I have my phone turned off and means I don't have to run a
voicemail module on my installation).

What I would like to find out is if it is possible for the 7970G (or indeed
any other endpoint) to query/receive notification from Internode's
voicemail system and display a MWI (or some sort of notification on the
phone) when a message is there.

Now, from my reading, I believe that this is accomplished through either
SIP NOTIFY or SUBSCRIBE messages, but I am still quite confused about how
it all works.  I am unsure if FreeSWITCH needs to "relay" this information
to the endpoint, or if is configurable via the MWI-Account parameter (ie.
the directory user registers to receive these updates directly from the SIP
server).

I imagine I'll need to provide a bit more detail, so please let me know
where to start.