[Freeswitch-users] FS as a REDIRECT server

adahary adahary at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 13:16:03 MSD 2013

I understand your point about the 3xx redirct option, so I'm dumping it.
I've considered also using Kamailio/OpenSips for REDIRECT&LoadBalance and
RTPproxy and found it too complex and time consuming (I've already setup a
working small network).

I was researching the DNS-SRV geo-routing solution but then I got into a
much simple and friendly solution which is the AWS-53 Latency Based Routing
(LBR) service. The LBR replies to the client's DNS query with the nearest FS
server by measuring the latency between the client and the nearest AWS
region that host the targeted FS. The AWS-53 provides also other tools for
failover, load balacing and monitoring so the global FS network can scale up
easily.

Once the client is ON the nearest FS then all the rest is based on the FS
dialplan routing scheme.
One centralized DB (with back up) will hold all the clients credentials and
their current status location.
Once the client make a call, the hosted FS will look up for the current
location of the called client and route it to the remote FS (client 1 -> FS
A ->LOOKUP -> FS B -> client 2).
Both FS A&B will be setup with proxy_media mode for maintaining clients' NAT
and RTP media transparency (end2end codec policy).

I found this setup simple, scalable and cost effective.

I would appreciate any advice/feedback on this setup plan.

Regards

Assaf