[Freeswitch-users] Screen vs -nc

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 19:43:35 MSD 2013

Screen runs it under a terminal, while -nc actually backgrounds it as a
daemon (just like apachemysql sshd etc). Both'll get it running but I'd
prefer it as a daemon personally.

The -nc option lets you start it from an init.d (there are examples in the
git repository) script - so you can have it start on startup and have a
tool like monit monitor and restart it if it crashes for any reason.

There's no reason you'd need to run it under screen (or its alternatives)
anyway. There are several modules for logging to a logfile (mod_logfile
mod_syslog), and mod_event_socket + fs_cli (or other ESL clients) lets you
connect to a running process to control or monitor it, and with the /log
command view the log entries at any time. I've also seen screen sessions
crash occasionally which has a chance of taking freeswitch out...

-Steve