[Freeswitch-users] Debian or Ubuntu

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 21:25:44 MSD 2013

Debian is more logical if you are talking about building a platform because
you already have to deal with very fluid FS code.  If you also have a
bleeding OS you will further complicate your world.  I think ubuntu serves
a good purpose to allow pre testing of what's coming down the pipe in a
similar way to running the master branch of any one software.  Just with
ubuntu in many cases you are running the master branch of everything
including the compiler and the libc and all the libs.  I know there is a
more hardened version of ubuntu that is more suitable for production but it
really seems like its a more logical choice for a desktop OS.

Debian seems to do a good job of saying current.  I personally use one of
everything since I have to make sure it works everywhere =D

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 3:15 AM, Richard Mace <richard.mace at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 24 July 2013 08:55, Andrew Cassidy <andrew at cassidywebservices.co.uk>wrote:
>
>> Equally, I just prefer Debian. I don't like the Ubuntu way, I like having
>> a system which I can easily understand the inner workings. To that extent
>> I've probably just used Debian more than Ubuntu.
>>
>> Servers I use Debian Stable
>> Desktops I use Linux Mint Debian Edition
>>
>> Before I used Debian I used Gentoo for many years. But once I entered the
>> real world I no longer had the time to keep a system updated and moved to
>> Debian which was the most used distro among my friends.
>>
>> The rule of thumb is:
>>
>> Use what you're comfortable with. Failing that, use what your
>> friends/peers are comfortable with. At least then you can get support
>> easily.
>>

> Makes sense Andrew.
> I've decided to focus on debian, hoping that when the next stable version
> comes out, I will just be able to apt-get dist-upgrade all my boxes.
> I'm struggling to find a script that works on Debian 7, but will keep
> searching.
>
> Richard

> http://wiki.freeswitch.org

Anthony Minessale II