[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH Weekly News and Notes

Michael Collins marketing at cluecon.com
Mon Jan 28 23:29:51 MSK 2013

Hello all!

I wanted to start off by giving you all some good news: Our friends at
Newegg <http://www.newegg.com> have successfully slain a Patent Troll named
Soverain. This NPE (non-producing entity) acquired some questionable
patents and started suing just about anybody with an online shopping cart
on their website. To make a long story short: Newegg fought them in court
instead of settling and in the process got all three patents invalidated!
More details available at the Ars Technica
article<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/01/how-newegg-crushed-the-shopping-cart-patent-and-saved-online-retail/>.
In any event, those of us who do software for a living, especially in the
US, are well aware of the dangerous patent situation we have. Hattip to
Newegg for doing us all a favor.

More good news! We have released a few more ClueCon 2012 videos:
* Open Source is revamping telecom. You want in. Learn from our wins and
misses.<http://www.cluecon.com/presentation/open-source-revamping-telecom-you-want-learn-our-wins-and-misses/>-
Darren Schreiber
* HOMER in the cloud. <http://www.cluecon.com/presentation/homer-cloud/> -
Alexandr Dubovikov
* OSTAG - Who we are, what we do, and
why.<http://www.cluecon.com/presentation/ostag-who-what-why/>- Raymond
Chandler

I will be uploading the slides for the talks shortly.

In other ClueCon news we are gearing up for the 2013 event. We look forward
to hearing from prospective speakers, sponsors, and attendees. As a
reminder, we are at the same hotel <http://www.cluecon.com/hotels/> this
year and the event runs from August 6th through the 8th. Stay tuned for
more information.

We have an annual tradition that is coming up next week: buy the developers
dinner! Quite simply, we invite the community to throw some money into the
hat and then the developers use it to buy dinner. The easiest way to donate
is to click the Donate button on the main FreeSWITCH
website<http://www.freeswitch.org>.
(Right-hand side, under the ClueCon 2013 logo.) Do a Paypal transaction,
mark it person (a gift is fine) and in the message to the recipient mention
that the money is for the developer dinner. We appreciate the community
doing this again for us this year. Thank you!

We'll talk to you this Wednesday on our weekly conference
call<http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/FS_weekly_2013_01_30>.
Last week was an open
discussion<http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/FS_weekly_2013_01_23>.
This week I would will be doing an event socket and ESL review. More people
are using these great tools and we are seeing some of the same questions
being asked so we want to make sure that we get this information out there
for everyone to use.

Thanks again for being a great community and we will talk to you again next
week.

--
Michael S Collins
ClueCon Team