[Freeswitch-users] mod_stress

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 14:39:18 MSK 2013

Media bugs are used to hook into the call and provide decoded audio to the
module. That requires transcoding, naturally. See stress_callback which is
called for each audio frame plus some init/cleanup hooks, and read up on
the API at http://docs.freeswitch.org/group__mb1.html.

I suspect read vs write would correspond to the speaking/listening
directions of the channel. Read from caller, write to caller? The names
come from the media bug API. The read/write options will add the
corresponding media bug, stop will remove them.

SWITCH_ADD_APP tells you it's a dialplan application - it's started from
dialplan, although you can also trigger dialplan apps on a channel via ESL
using uuid_broadcast.

The FFT algorithm is used to extract the frequencies present in the sample
(the power spectrum). The algorithm then tries to detect stressed based on
that. Looks like the algorithm at least in part attempts to look for tremor
in the voice. More tremor indicates more stress. Over a threshold it raises
an event.

Bear in mind that as it's pattern recognition (and little tested at that)
you'll get a lot of false positives and false negatives. It's also looking
for something in the voice that may or may not be there - some people might
be able to speak with an unstressed voice when they're actually quite
stressed.

-Steve