[Freeswitch-users] building mod_opal and v1.2stable

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 05:23:11 MSK 2013

The latest version of opal in Debian (even in Sid) isn't new enough for mod_opal. It needed various features added that are only only available in the svn version.

The wiki page states you have to install ptlib and opal from svn - this is why.
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Mod_opal

Of course that can then cause conflicts unless you package it yourself or install a dummy package, or problems with other libraries/apps that are built against the libopal that's already packaged.

Ptlib and h323plus/opal are also notorious for having to get matching versions. If you don't pair exactly the right version of ptlib with the specific version of h323plus/opal you can get instability problems. So the official Debian ptlib package probably wouldn't be good with opal from svn...

As for mod_h323, it does compile and work, at least on Wheezy and possibly Squeeze too. I've never had any luck getting mod_opal working but have got mod_h323 working. I don't actively use it though - all my traffic is currently SIP.

Another option is to run Yate as a SIP->H323 proxy. It only handles the signalling, media still goes directly caller->FS. It worked quite well, although it would occasionally crash - but at least that only dropped the H323 calls and didn't take FS down with it, and Yate automatically restarted. That was on Lenny so a long time ago...

Steve on iPhone