[Freeswitch-users] mod_amr transcoing for testing purposes

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 20:40:12 MSK 2013

An alternative is mod_sangoma_codec, which supports AMR.

This is the module to interface with a transcoding hardware card made by
Sangoma, which implements several codecs including licensed ones such as
AMR, G729 etc. The license cost is included in the cost of the hardware
itself. The transcoding is done on the card itself, offloading that
processing from the CPU.

Since mod_amr licenses don't exist yet, that's probably your only legal
option for AMR transcoding in FreeSWITCH right now.

With a bit of research you can (quite easily) find the AMR library mod_amr
is designed for from the headers Mike mentioned, but you won't get any help
from the community finding, implementing or debugging it due to the legal
issues surrounding doing so.

As for testing with mod_amr... testing one codec implementation tells you
exactly nothing about a different implementation. If you plan to test
transcoding AMR you *need* to test with the implementation you will use in
production to get any meaningful results. Which won't be mod_amr.

Suffice to say transcoding in FreeSWITCH works very well, providing the
in/out codecs are supported.

-Steve