[Freeswitch-users] Best practices question about SIP registration * IPv6 lookups

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Jan 9 11:47:02 MSK 2013

From the wiki:

"There IS a wrinkle to this special case: If you have a URL of the form <sip:user at example.com:5055> the client should NOT look for a NAPTR or SRV, but instead go straight to looking for an A or AAAA for the host example.com (i"

This is an error in the RFC that we are trying to fix in the IPV6 wg of the SIP Forum. Software should NOT find A *OR* AAAA. It should look up both and then try them according to Happy Eyeballs - in parallell with a small advantage for IPv6. If we do serial forking here, we have in worst case a 32 second timeout in SIP over UDP, which is not acceptable.

Every customer should require fixes and every developer should try to fix this...

Some slides on these issues:
* http://www.slideshare.net/oej/sipforum-sip-ipv6-discussion-slides
* http://www.slideshare.net/oej/sip-ipv6-time-for-action

I hope to see FreeSwitch at SIPit 30 in February so we can test this and other issues!

/O