[Freeswitch-users] ooH323 vs mod_h323

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 03:52:56 MSK 2013

mod_opal and mod_h323 are based on the opal and h323plus libraries. Both are forks of the open323 library (which is discontinued). h323plus aims to remain API compatible with open323, while it seems opal aims to become a more generic telecoms library with support for SIP IAX etc too.

ooh323c is a completely separate library with no shared code.

mod_h323 and mod_opal both seem to have stability problems. Partly that seems to come from the heavy dependance of the libraries on specific matching versions of ptlib, partly that seems to be the libraries themselves. Both Asterisk and YATE appear to have stability problems using h323plus/openh323. Anecdotally the ooh323c Asterisk module is more stable...

I'd need to look into it further, but the ooh323c library implements H323 and leaves RTP/codecs to the app. h323plus/opal implement them themselves (overridable I imagine). That means adding support to ooh323c may end up being easier, in theory. But that's a guess without researching it...

Steve

>>> http://wiki.freeswitch.org