[Freeswitch-users] DTMF duration unit

François Delawarde fdelawarde at wirelessmundi.com
Tue Feb 5 13:47:37 MSK 2013

Reply to my own questions:

On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 11:54 +0100, François Delawarde wrote:
> I don't clearly get what unit we should use in dtmf-duration parameters
> (core min-dtmf-duration / max-dtmf-duration and sofia dtmf-duration).

"*dtmf-duration" variables should be specified in timestamp units, as in
RFC-2833.

> Also, is the "unit" consistent across all endpoint modules?

For SIP at least, the behavior seems a bit inconsistent:

* RFC-2833, FS always specifies a timestamp rate 8000Hz (the default) in
rtpmap (telephone-event/8000), so the default values are:

min-dtmf-duration=400 => 50ms
default-dtmf-duration=2000 => 250ms
max-dtmf-duration=192000 => 24s

* SIP INFO, FS feeds the same values into the "Duration=" header of SIP
INFO messages, but these are interpreted as milliseconds, so when using
SIP INFO, the default values end up being:

min-dtmf-duration=400 => 400ms
default-dtmf-duration=2000 => 2s
max-dtmf-duration=192000 => 192s

* INBAND, teletone probably uses milliseconds as well, did not check.

So as long as you are using RFC-2833, everything should be okay. I don't
know of any device requiring SIP INFO anyway, do you?

I can open a jira if a dev confirms the behavior is not intended.

Regards,
François.