[Freeswitch-users] Equipment Location Survey

Sean P Devoy sdevoy at bizfocused.com
Wed Dec 11 23:25:18 MSK 2013

Hi All,

I have had a moment of clarity and I think I need to rethink my business
strategy with regard to FS for SMALL Businesses (less than 5 DIDs and 5
phones/extensions).  To date I have attempted to HOST the customers phone
services on a multitenant FS box "in a bunker".  This has led to many
setbacks due to NAT issues on the CLIENT end with different router and phone
hardware.  Perhaps I have a self-imposed problem that could be easily
rectified.

My strategy has been to be sure the switch is always reachable and route to
alternate phones or voicemail if the client site is unreachable.  I had
thought this would provide for the highest availability of inbound call
handling.  I now think installing a FS PC onsite maybe be far simpler
provided that the VOIP provider can handle routing to a failover switch.

So I am considering changing from:   <FS> -- public IP -- <internet> -- <NAT
Router> -- Nat'ed client phones

to:    <internet> -- <NAT Router> -- Nat'ed FS  -- local lan - non-nat
phones

I am looking for folks to talk about this configuration with FS NATed/Port
Forwarded or FS dual home IP with a public IP and a nat ip.  Many small
businesses can't provide a public IP.  In fact most will occasionally have
their public IP change without notice.  Clearly the VOIP provider will have
to be updated with the new address.  Is there a slick way to handle that
problem?

How well has this configuration worked for other people?

Thanks,

Sean

---