[Freeswitch-users] FreeTDM and ring_ready

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 09:12:41 MSK 2013

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Siri MM <sirimmfs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been using Sangoma A102 card with wanpipe-3.5.28 and FS 1.2.8.
>
> At a couple of different customer sites, common issue reported is, when a
> call is made from external world (mobile/fixed line), although the
> destination extension rings, no ringback is heard at the caller end.
>
> Extension dialplan is to bridge to the desired extension, something like:
>  <action application="bridge" data="user/3001" />
>
> On capturing the isdn traces, I see that packet exchanges involve SETUP,
> CALL PROCEEDING, and ALERTING (with a progress indicator saying "Call is
> not end-to-end ISDN - progress information available in-band")
>
> After experimenting a bit, what I find is, ringback is heard if I were to
> modify my dialplan as follows:
> <action application="ring_ready" />
> <action application="set" data="ringback=$${uk-ring}"/>
> <action application="bridge" data="user/3001" />
>
> This time, ISDN traces have the following: SETUP, CALL PROCEEDING,
> ALERTING (with a progress indicator saying "Call is not end-to-end ISDN -
> progress information available in-band"), and PROGRESS (with a progress
> indicator saying "In-band information or an appropriate pattern is now
> available")
>
> My question is, while working with FreeTDM, do I need to always set
> ringback explicitly? Could somebody please help me understand this
> correctly?

Not always. It depends very much on your situation. In many cases the telco
plays the media regardless of what you send. In your case it seems you want
to bridge the call to a given SIP endpoint. My guess is that SIP endpoint
is never sending 183 or even if it sends 183 is not sending media. In such
cases, if you want to provide media, yes you have to execute ring_ready and
let FreeSWITCH play the media (ie, through the ringback variable, using
playback, etc)

Moy

*Moises Silva**Manager, Software Engineering*

msilva at sangoma.com

Sangoma Technologies

100 Renfrew Drive, Suite 100, Markham, ON L3R 9R6 Canada

t.   +1 800 388 2475 (N. America)

t.   +1 905 474 1990 x128

f.   +1 905 474 9223

<http://www.sangoma.com/contact?utm_source=signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email+signatures>