[Freeswitch-users] domain vs. domain_name variables

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Sat Aug 24 01:55:11 MSD 2013

On 08/23/2013 03:28 PM, Stanislav Sinyagin wrote:
> What is the difference between ${domain} and ${domain_name} variables? Both are used in the source
> code, and example configs set them to the same value.
>
> What is the design consideration behind?
>
> Why not merging them into one variable?

This is an issue that has me a bit puzzled as well.

domain in vars.xml is supposed to be an IP address ( IMO Should have been called domain_ip )
domain_name is supposed to be a FQDN I think. grepping the configs tells me domain_name is never
used in the default config so you can probably ignore it.

What is also not clear is the multiple uses of the term domain:

 From the wiki -
https://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Sofia.conf.xml#The_Relationship_Between_SIP_Profiles_and_Domains :

 > The domains inside the XML registry are completely different from the domains on the internet and
 > again completely different from domains in sip packets. The profiles are again entirely different
 > from any of the above. Its up to you to align them if you so choose.

OK that made my head hurt.

In some places in FS 'domain' = domain_IP_address

Here it says that SIP profile domain != IP-domain != SIP packet domain.

So I know what it isn't, but it might also help if I knew what it IS!

So, I think the domain definition in sofia MIGHT be a grouping of profiles? Then as you read on, it
tells us that a domain is a domain.

" FreeSWITCH works off the concept of users and domains just like email."

The books nor the wiki nor googling the mailing list makes this clear.

Both the internal and external profiles set the name of the sofia-domain to all and $ sofia status
gives the names as internal and external (after the directory? ).

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://secure.transtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

Reality isn't fair, but that it is where I live. -kps