[Freeswitch-users] More information on FreeSwitch

PhilQ philq at qsystemsengineering.com
Wed Sep 12 19:23:45 MSD 2012

>This is one reason we are doing a second edition to the "bridge book." We
are planning on having an entire chapter dedicated just to handling NAT.

That is excellent news.  I'll definitely be looking forward to that, thanks
for the heads up.  In the meantime, are there any plans to add far-end
NAT-traversal functionality to FS or is it already there and I just need to
figure out how to make it work?  In other words:
FS | <Internet> -- NAT firewall | SIP phone A, SIP phone B, etc. on the same
LAN

Phone A calls Phone B and FS tries to route the media from Phone A to Phone
B using their external NAT addresses (which doesn't work) instead of just
sending the media between the two phones using their internal addresses.
Proxying the media through FS works but wastes bandwidth and adds latency
when the media could just be going between the two phones.

Can FS handle this or is an SBC necessary?

>Thanks for the info and feedback!

No problem... I just thought you guys should know about it.

- Phil