[Freeswitch-users] More information on FreeSwitch

PhilQ philq at qsystemsengineering.com
Fri Sep 7 20:18:51 MSD 2012

You may want to take a serious look at FusionPBX, it makes many of the more
mundane administrative and monitoring tasks a lot easier, especially if
you're not working with it and making changes every day.  It avoids much of
the "ok... how did I do that again?"  It's a nice tool for learning the
architecture of FS as you're getting started, although relying upon it too
heavily will likely slow your learning over the long haul.

You won't ever completely get away from editing files though, often vi is
the best administrative tool available.

I bought the original FreeSwitch book in addition to the cookbook and while
it is an excellent text with a lot of good information contained therein,
there's still some info that's not in there that I'd like to see.  For
instance, I'm still left with questions about FS' capabilities and behavior
with NAT handling in certain scenarios and that info doesn't appear to be
very well covered anywhere that I've been able to find - probably due to the
fact that FS is still a work in progress.  Not many people seem to truly
understand the details of FS' NAT functionality, so unless you're lucky and
one of the developers who truly understands it has the time to answer your
question, you'll have to wade through the code and experiment (which isn't
always a bad thing, another one of the many advantages of open source) but
that can be quite time-consuming.

I was surprised to find that the full original FS book is floating around
the 'Net in PDF form, not sure that the authors or the publisher would be
particularly happy about that.  If any of the AUTHORS want the link(s),
contact me and I'll give the info I have to you.  If your name doesn't
appear on the cover of the FS book however, don't ask me for any links.   :)

- Phil