[Freeswitch-users] mod_skyopen question/clarification

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 18:46:20 MSD 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Luis Azedo
<luis.azedo at factorlusitano.com>wrote:

> does mod_skypopen work with silk codec at 16khz ?
>
> i have a softswitch with several users using AMR-NB codec. i have a
> dialing plan to make calls to skype through feeswitch/mod_skypopen with
> G711U.
> the softswitch does transcoding from AMR-NB to G711U. does freeswitch do
> transcoding from G711U to SILK?
>
> the softswitch can also do transcoding from AMR-NB to SILK before going to
> frreeswitch. would this be better ?

Hello Luis,

mod_skypopen connect to the skype client through a tcp socket and exchange
with it a signed linear (SL) 16khz stream.

So, for what the skype client and FreeSWITCH are concerned, all is just
signed linear, 16khz.

FreeSWITCH internally works with signed linear data.

So, the best you can do is to exchange signed linear stream (a "raw",
native, non codified stream) between your softswitch and
FreeSWITCH-skypopen.
The second best would be to use a codec that is very light on cpu and that
do 16khz.
The third best would be to use G711(u|a) that do 8khz, but is very light on
cpu.

All trancoding and resampling (eg: from g711 to SL and SL to g711, but also
between 8khz and 16khz) are done internally and automatically by FreeSWITCH.

Not sure if I was able to clarify the issue, feel free to ask again.

-giovanni

Sincerely,

Giovanni Maruzzelli
Cell : +39-347-2665618