[Freeswitch-users] How Patches to the code base work

Ken Rice krice at freeswitch.org
Wed Oct 3 01:18:13 MSD 2012

Hey Guys,

Tony & Crew have been hot and heavy fixing bugs and coming up with new ways
to make FreeSWITCH better.

Now during the cycle, we get bugs reported on the stable branch, which in
almost all cases are also bugs on the Development branch (or also possible
not a bug on the dev branch as it was fixed there since the release was
cut).

So lets say you have just reported a bug, and one of the developers fixes
it, 99.999% of the time, that bug would have been resolved in the git master
branch aka HEAD. When this happens the patch does not immediately go into
the stable branch. We wont put untested code there unless there is a VERY
VERY compelling reason to do so like security issue... Those patches will
work their way in as the release cycle progresses...

If Tony & Crew patch an issue and ask you to test it, they arent asking you
to test it on stable they are asking you to test it in head... From there,
we can evaluate if the patch goes into stable sooner then later...

As with any software, patching to fix one issue can introduce another issue.
This happens to all programmers, some more then others. Sometimes its not so
bad, other times, its horrific. (I¹ve even seen core FS Devs commit code
that leaves the build broken.) No one does this sort of stuff on purpose but
it does happen, that¹s why we ask for everyone to test master (HEAD) for new
patches. We would hate to break the stable because we dropped untested code
directly in there.

Ken
http://www.FreeSWITCH.org
http://www.ClueCon.com