[Freeswitch-users] lua script

Chad Phillips chad at apartmentlines.com
Tue Nov 27 00:58:24 MSK 2012

I would advise leaving the local keyword. Local variable lookups are faster in Lua, and more importantly it's best to restrict the variable's scope to the smallest scope you'll use it in. Even if you're using the variable at the scope of an entire script, you should declare it local to the script -- global variables are accessed beyond the actual script they are in, as illustrated by the following example:

test1.lua:

require "test2"

print(string.format("foo in test1 is: %s", tostring(foo)))
print(string.format("baz in test1 is: %s", tostring(baz)))

test2.lua:

foo = "bar"
local baz = "bang"

print(string.format("foo in test2 is: %s", tostring(foo)))
print(string.format("baz in test2 is: %s", tostring(baz)))

Output:

foo in test2 is: bar
baz in test2 is: bang
foo in test1 is: bar