[Freeswitch-users] [OffTopic] Why PostgreSQL better then MySQL?

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at Vex.Net
Mon Nov 5 18:34:30 MSK 2012

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 15:43:39 +0200
Vbvbrj <vbvbrj at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't use phpmyadmin, I use the MySQL GUI Tools distributed by the
> developers. PostreSQL also has its GUI, but its not intuitive. Ok.
> This is a like only. Eventually anyone can get used with
> administering the DB with some tools.

I don't understand this obsession with GUI tools for working on
databases.  If we are talking about enterprise level databases I assume
we mean enterprise level deployment as well.  That means sitting down
and designing a database from requirements.  The database should be
created in a text file that can be dropped into a versioning system.
Don't say that binary project files can be saved because you can't
diff binary files in any useful way.

And don't get me started on the dog's breakfast that is PHP.  I won't
even install it on my central database server.

> I am about the work progress, replication, fault-tolerance building,
> transactions is, foreign keys. Innodb in MySQL also is transactional
> and has foreign key with updates and deletes handling.

Of course PostgreSQL has all that.  Who do you think MySQL is trying to
catch up to.

> Does PostgreSQL has some stability improvements, db speed access,
> sequrity issues better then MySQL?

Absolutely.  I wouldn't trust my critical data to any other open source
database and very few commercial ones.

Run a busy database application in both PostgreSQL and MySQL and pull
the plug on the server once in a while.  Want to take bets on which one
corrupts your data and requires a restore from backup?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
System Administrator, Vex.Net