[Freeswitch-users] Running multiple SIP profiles

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Thu May 31 18:54:43 MSD 2012

Each sofia profile runs in a single thread (limitation of the sofia
stack). This thread is only used for the processing of SIP packets and
matching them to a call. Eventually there is a bottleneck if your call
volume means the network I/O is faster than a single CPU core can keep
up with. Adding more sofia profiles on other ip:ports lets you handle
SIP packets on another core which is why it can help in extremely high
call loads. At what point that occurs at will highly depend on your
traffic and your hardware. Most people won't hit that threshold.

Processing of calls (ie dialplan applications etc) and handling of RTP
media occurs in their own threads.

-Steve