[Freeswitch-users] Spandsp mulated modems inbound/no /dev/FS* device?

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Mon May 21 23:15:31 MSD 2012

On 21/05/12 16:16, Anthony Minessale wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Alex Crow<acrow at integrafin.co.uk>  wrote:
>> On 17/05/12 14:51, Anita Hall wrote:
>>> Hi Alex
>>>
>>> Did you get the answer to your first question ? Did you succeed in
>>> using the emulated modem option for taking fax calls to hylafax ?
>>>
>>> I put the following in spandsp.conf.xml and got /dev/FS[0-4] devices
>>> as soft links to /dev/pts/[4-8]. My freeswitch is running as root user
>>> so I did not face the issue you did.
>>>
>>> <modem-settings>
>>> <param name="total-modems"    value="5"/>
>>> </modem-settings>
>>>
>>> What next? Could you point me to some doc in hylafax?
>>>
>>> (And before Steve lashes out at me again, I must clarify, I do not
>>> want to just play around, but my boss is clueless and wants me to
>>> evaluate hylafax :()
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Anita
>>>
> I need to stamp out some FUD
>
> 1) It works going both ways.  Its been complete for some time and in use.
> 2) I can't find anything but helpful comments from Steve.

Anthony.

I won't comment on point 2 as I think it's unproductive, but I also have
no idea how to use the emulated modems for inbound fax. If you could
suggest a way that would be great. I was expecting to see a registered
endpoint but nothing appeared, so I am lost as to what I should put in
my dialplan to, for instance, direct a call from a PSTN gateway or
FreeTDM endpoint to the virtual modem (so Hylafax can answer it).

Also I have the problem that unless FreeSWITCH is run as root, the
device nodes are not created.

Unless in the last few weeks some docs have been updated on this, I'm
still stuck with T38modem.

Cheers

Alex