[Freeswitch-users] Strange "timer_test" result

Stephen Wilde wstephen80 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 12:44:41 MSD 2012

My experience in FS timers:

1. voice quality is related to timer_test result so if you have irregular
result, you'll have bad voice quality (and low ACD)

2. mod_posix_timer is my solution (I haven't try timerfd because I'm using
CentOS 5.8).

3. there are two version of mod_posix_timer, the "old" one (the one before
the fix of git 'FS-4064 mod_posix_timer workaround of CentOS 5 glibc
problem'  of 30 april) and the 'new' one (present in latest git)

4. the 'old' mod_posix_timer is much more efficient that 'new' one (with
'new' mod_posix_timer is half way between 'old' mod_posix_timer and soft
timer).

you don't use the posix timer in your profile

6. the 'new' mod_posix_timer solves the crashes of FS

So my conclusion is that the 'old' mod_posix_timer is the best one but
sometimes FS crashes but the 'new' mod_posix_timer is not good as the 'old'
one but it solves the crash issue.

In my production system I'm using the 'old' one in servers with high load
and the 'new' one in serves with less load, according with timer_test
results.

Memory leak: I have done some test mixing different versions of FS and
mod_posix_timer and in any case, if I use the latest Freeswitch git the
used memory grows up continously, also if I use 'old' mod_posix_timer so,
my conclusion is that the memory leakage is related to Freeswitch. In my
production server, latest FS git + old mod_posix_timer consumes all server
memory (12MB) in 2 days. For this reason, in all my installation I'm using
the Freeswitch git of 26th march with new or old mod_posix_timer (depending
on timer_test result).

Stephen