[Freeswitch-users] Painted into a corner: outbound-codec-prefs, late negotiation, and inherit codec

Jeremy Childs jeremyc at ssimicro.com
Fri Jun 15 20:39:27 MSD 2012

A quick introduction to what I'm trying to do:

I have two SIP profiles, "internal" (port 5060) and "offpremise" (port
5070). Both of these profiles are recording registrations to the same
registration db, so they can be reached by user/nnn. When a device
leaves the local LAN and heads out into the field, firewall port
translation maps port 5060 to 5070, so FS "knows" the extension is now
off-premise.

All profiles on the box are set to inbound-late-negotiation and
inherit-codec, to reduce transcoding.

What I would like to do is set a very restrictive list of codecs on the
"offpremise" profile, so that an exension registered to "offpremise"
only sees a set of low-bandwidth codecs. To facilitate this, I have set
outbound-codec-prefs on the profile.

After much testing, I have determined that "outbound-codec-prefs" in
this configuration ends up ADDING codecs to the offer, and will not
remove any codecs offered by the A-leg. Interestingly,
inbound-codec-prefs seems to remove codec from the A-leg offer.

So, my question: is there any way of restricting the list of codecs
offered on the B-leg using the profile configuration (and not from
within the dialplan)? If there is any answer at all, I'd suspect it's
one of the following:

  * a global setting that changes the behavior of outbound-codec-prefs
    to be restrictive, instead of additive (the source doesn't seem to
    suggest this)
  * a way to set absolute_codec_string (or other variables) from within
    the profile itself
  * a way to set a variable (again, likely absolute_code_string) to the
    registration instance so the codec list can be explicitly specified
  * any other far-out ideas for accomplishing this kind of seamless
    "roaming"

Any ideas or hints greatly appreciated.